Week 20 - Jan 14 - PTA Newsletter
Dear Sulphur Springs Parents and Guardians,
Thank you to everyone who attended our PTA Meeting last Thursday. We covered a ton of material, heard some great ideas, and got our Nominating Committee in place. We are now ready to begin thinking about the next school year! Seriously!
If you are interested in being a leader on the PTA for next year, we would love to have you! Please send a letter of interest (your name, the grade(s) of your student(s), which position(s) you are interested in, and any relevant qualifications) to the Nominating Committee Chairperson, Chrystal Ramos, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations are requested by February 1, so don’t delay! (For more information about the various positions, please read below and see the attached document. The current Board members are also more than happy to tell you about what our positions entail; just ask!)
Board positions flyers
English - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0514/6922/2087/files/Board_Positions_-_Updated_2023.docx?v=1705337459
4-Week Look Ahead
- 1/15 – NO SCHOOL, MLK Jr Day
- 1/23, 9am – Coffee with the Principal, in the MPR
- 1/25, 7:30am – Site Council meeting, via Zoom
- Request the link from Ms Palacios if you would like to attend.
- 1/26 – SSPTA Recycling Drop-Off at all 3 valets (morning only)
- New volunteers are always welcome! 8:10am-8:50am
- 1/26, 9am – Spirit Assembly
- 2/14, 8am – SSPTA Sweetheart Breakfast, in the MPR
- 2/16 – NO SCHOOL, Long Weekend
- 2/19 – NO SCHOOL, President’s Day
Please note: The Talent/Variety Show has been postponed to later in the Spring.
Table of Contents
- Nominate Yourself for a PTA Leadership Position for Next Year
- PTA Membership ($7) – Required to serve in a leadership position or to vote
- Special Volunteer Recognition – Thank you!
- List of Volunteer Needs
- PTA Leadership Nominations Are Open
At our PTA Meeting last week, the Nominating Committee was elected by the members in attendance. This group of people will be going out into our school community to talk with other parents (like you!) about PTA leadership opportunities for the next school year.
We are seeking candidates for all PTA Board positions – President, Vice President of Programs, Treasurer, Secretary, Historian, and Auditor. (We re-elect officers each year, and no one may serve as an officer in the same position for more than two consecutive years. So, we’re always looking for new leaders!)
If you would like to serve as a PTA leader for next year, you can email that information to the Chair of the Nominating Committee, Chrystal Ramos, at email@example.com. Let them know which position(s) you are most interested in, and they will work to make a great slate.
Nominations are requested by February 1, so don’t delay! Send in your statement of interest today.
- PTA Membership – How to Join ($7-$8)
You need to be a PTA member for at least 30 days to be eligible to vote in our elections (the next one is March 12) or to serve in a leadership position. So, sign up now!
If you are not already a member of our illustrious Sulphur Springs PTA, what’s stopping you? It’s quick, easy, and inexpensive. For less than $10, each member of your family can show their commitment to education and to the betterment of each and every child in our school. Your fees will help to cover expenses for enrichment activities on-campus, community-building events off-campus, and nationwide advocacy for children.
There is no commitment of any kind when you become a member. You do not have to volunteer. You do not even have to attend any meetings! Though we hope you’ll do both!!!
You can drop your check or cash off at the school office ($7 per person). Please include a note with your name, email address, and phone number along with a list of who you would like to sign up as members and the names and teachers of all your children who attend Sulphur Springs. (This helps us know when each class has reached their goal for the number of members enrolled.) The PTA has a locked deposit box right by the front door, inside the office, where you can drop your payment.
Or you can sign up online at: https://jointotem.com/ca/canyon-country/sulphur-springs-community-school-pta/join/register. The cost for a membership online is $8. The extra $1 covers the additional fees charged by credit card companies and the cost of the Totem software.
- Special Volunteer Recognition
SSPTA would like to recognize these amazing volunteers for their willingness to donate their time to our student body! Thank you for all the energy you bring to our community!
Rose Carradine McGee
Also, to all our teachers and staff, Principal Palacios, Assistant Principal Terrazas, and our front office personnel: Thank you for your support!
- List of Volunteer Needs
We have an immediate need for volunteers in the following areas. If you would like to donate your time, regardless of the amount, please reach out to the contact listed:
- Sweetheart Breakfast (2/14) – We have a chairperson and a couple volunteers for this event, scheduled for February 14, but we could always use more help! If you would like get involved, please email Kim Sperling, Kimberly@yahoo.com.
- Family Events Committee – We don’t have a chairperson yet, so we can’t plan any activities! If you’d like to help/lead, please email President@sspta.org.
Talent Show (March/April) – Contact Rose McGee (818-818-9628) or Kessa Taylor to get more involved.
- We also need contacts with business owners who might be willing to donate construction materials (plywood, 2x4s, paint, etc.) and with anyone who might have lavalier or headset microphones we could borrow.
- We are also seeking a volunteer who could help with filming and/or editing the students’ performances. (We can probably get access to a camera or two, but we need someone who can use it and then ideally do something with the recording so we can share it.)
Ways to Connect with PTA: https://www.sspta.org/pages/ways-to-connect-with-sspta
If you would like to know more about what the Sulphur Springs PTA does for our school, please check out: https://www.sspta.org/pages/about-us
Email President@sspta.org with any questions!