Week 3 - Aug 21 - PTA Newsletter
Dear Sulphur Springs Parents and Guardians,
Not sure about you but I am celebrating one full week down. This week we had our Welcome Back BBQ, and it was amazing to see our community come out in numbers. Next up, the school is hosting their Back-to-School Night Thursday, August 24th, look for additional details below. We hope to see everyone there for volunteer training, Spirit Wear sales, light snacks provided by our Hospitality Chairs, PTA membership registration, class tours and introductions to each of your teachers.
Keep reading to uncover how you can get involved, establish connections, and show your support.
Ways to Connect with SSPTA:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/sscspta
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sulphur_springs_pta/
SSPTA Website – www.sspta.org
Email – President@sspta.org
Here’s everything you need to know:
4-Week Look Ahead
08/24 – Back to School Night
- 12:45pm Release – Minimum Day
- 4:45pm – Volunteer Training w/ Ms. Palacios and the PTA
- 6:00pm to 6:30pm – 1st Classroom Session
- 6:30pm to 7:00pm – 2nd Classroom Session
- 08/25 – CRV Recycling Morning Drop Off (@All Three Valet Lines)
- 09/04 – Labor Day (Federal Holiday - No School)
- 09/12 and 13– Fall Picture Day (tentative)
- 09/14 – Minimum Day (12:45pm Release)
- 09/15 – Constitution Day/ 1st Spirit Assembly (Dress in Red, White, and Blue)
Table of Contents
- Welcome Back BBQ Culmination
- Back to School Night (08/24)
- CRV Recycling (08/25)
- Spirit Wear (Order deadline 09/04)
- First Day Packet Forms
- Save the Date: Mustang Roundup (10/07)
- Welcome Back BBQ Culmination
The Welcome Back BBQ was an absolute triumph, a symphony of laughter, delectable bites, and heartwarming connections. As families gathered under the golden sun, the air carried the infectious sound of our student’s unrestrained laughter floating through the air. Joy was the common language as everyone consumed mouthwatering treats and students engaged in a friendly competition. The cake walk was a whimsical dance of anticipation, with victorious cheers erupting each time a lucky number was called, which just so happened to be “2” for six of the draws, while the book, game, and puzzle swap unveiled a treasure trove of newfound entertainment.
The Welcome Back BBQ wasn't just an event; it was a kaleidoscope of shared experiences that left hearts full and faces beaming, a testament to the magic that happens when a community comes together. Thank you to all the volunteers who helped make this special event happen and thank you to all who attended for being an active part of our school community. We look forward to seeing you all at our next event!
- Back to School Night – 08/24
We are thrilled to invite you to the school’s annual "Back to School Night" on August 24th. Please note the district changed the date from August 31st. This is an excellent opportunity to meet your children's teachers, explore the classrooms, and gain insights into the curriculum and classroom expectations.
At Back to School Night, there will be a volunteer training held with Ms. Palacios and the PTA at 4:45pm in the Multipurpose Room (MPR); please join us if you can. For anyone planning to volunteer on campus (or to chaperone on field trips) this year, this training is mandatory. You can attend the training in person at Back to School Night, or online training will be available for those unable to attend in person.
- Volunteer Training with Ms. Palacios and the PTA in the MPR – 4:45pm
- Title 1 Meeting in the MPR – 5:30pm
- First Session in the Classroom – 6:00pm to 6:30pm
- Second Session in the Classroom – 6:30pm to 7:00pm
Please also note that there will be a Minimum Day on 08/24 to allow our teachers time to get their rooms ready for visitors. All students will be dismissed at 12:45pm.
- CRV Recycling Drop off – 08/25 (8:20-8:45am)
Welcome to the thrilling world of CRV recycling, where every bottle embarks on an epic journey to become a superhero of sustainability! Imagine your favorite soda or sparkling water container donning a cape and leaping into the recycling bin with a triumphant shout of "Save the Planet!" CRV, short for California Redemption Value (but we like to call it "Cleverly Revitalizing Valor"), is like a treasure map leading to a land of eco-gold. These bottles aren't just discarded; they're adventure-seekers on a mission to transform into new and fantastic forms. With a flash of recycling magic, they can become anything from a cozy fleece jacket to a snazzy park bench, all while striking a blow against the forces of waste and pollution. Not to mention, our PTA collects the cash redemption value for each container; last year we earned almost $1,000, all of which goes straight into our programs and activities for the kids. So, next time you hear that satisfying clink of a CRV bottle, know that you're joining a recycling revolution, one capped bottle at a time!
Drop off your CRV recycling at any of our (3) valets in the morning between 8:20-8:45am. We will gladly take cans and plastic if it states “CA CRV” on the label. Look for our volunteers who will help grab your items and pass out Mustang Pride slips to students who bring in recycling; those Pride slips can be used later at the Mustang Store. (More on that in an upcoming newsletter.) If you would like to get more involved, we are always looking for more volunteers to help at the valet lines, including students, to help at the valet lines with sorting and/or cheer for all our environmentally conscience students. If you can help, please contact VP, Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 👕 **Show Your School Spirit with Spirit Wear!** - Deadline 09/04
Get ready to sport your Sulphur Springs Mustang pride with our stylish and fun Spirit Wear collection! From cozy hoodies and trendy tees to comfy joggers and trucker hats, we have something for everyone. Our Spirit Wear not only shows your school spirit, but it also supports SSPTA's initiatives and activities; we earn a portion of each purchase. We will have size samples to check out at the Back to School Night, as well as volunteers present who can help you with selections and processing of your order.
All orders must be placed by Labor Day weekend 09/04, so don’t delay! https://www.stepinhouse.com/product-category/sulphur-springs-elementary-23-24/
- First Day Packet Forms
We hope you’ve seen a white envelope that came home with your student(s) their first week back. Each form is equally important; however, we’d like to encourage you to return these forms as soon as possible:
- Communication opt-in form –For us to tailor your communications, we need to receive this form from each of our Mustang households. You can return it with your child or email a picture of the populated form to the Communications Chair, Jennifer Salinas at email@example.com
- Family participation waiver form – This form will allow your family to participate in all PTA activities, without having to fill out a waiver at every event. Please return this form to your student’s teacher; we only need one form per household completed.
- Room Parent form – If you are interested in being a room parent for your child’s class, please return the pink form any of these ways: with your student, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or text it to 661-607-5387. Aside from classroom volunteering, a room parent helps: our teachers plan fun celebrations for the class, put together completed art projects, gather donations, etc. We aim to assign more than one room parent to each class so the workload can be shared. Plus, it’s always more fun with a group!
- Volunteer interest form – We have a lot of fun events coming up, and we need your help. This form will help us align people in the volunteer areas they’d enjoy participating in. You can send this form back in with your student or fill out the google doc at https://forms.gle/SFVXB3pncjUfZVfF8
PTA Membership form – The PTA plays a vital role in supporting our school, and we encourage everyone to become a member. You can register online at https://jointotem.com/ca/canyon-country/sulphur-springs-community-school-pta/join/register
- Save the Date: Mustang Roundup – 10/07
Get ready to saddle up for an incredible night of fun at the much-awaited Mustang Roundup, coming your way on October 7, 2023, from 6 PM to 10 PM at River’s End in Canyon Country. This adults-only affair is more than just an event; it's a rollercoaster ride of laughter, excitement, unforgettable moments. It is our largest fundraiser of the year and allows us to fund most of our programs for the school year, ensuring that each student has an opportunity for enrichment and fun. Our Auctioneer/ MC, Benjamin Serio is guaranteed to have you in stitches, while he guides you through a live and silent auction brimming with incredible treasures waiting for your bids. Prepare yourself for a fun wine and liquor pull; whether you decide to share it with friends or keep it all to yourself, the most important thing is to have a wonderful time savoring the experience. Before you dance the night away to the Future X-Husbands, your taste buds will be treated to a mouthwatering BBQ feast that's nothing short of legendary. With ice-cold beer, a tantalizing selection of non-alcoholic beverages, and a welcoming atmosphere, the Mustang Roundup is your ticket to an evening of pure exhilaration. Plus, it benefits our kids! Ticket prices go up after Labor Day and all ticket sales will close after October 4, 2023. There will be no ticket sales at the door. Mark your calendars, rally your posse, and gear up for a night you won't want to miss!
- Purchase Mustang Roundup Pre-Sale Tickets here for $60/each until Labor Day: https://www.sspta.org/collections/events/products/mustang-roundup-october-7-2023
You will find additional details about the food options, what your ticket includes, additional rules and information, overnight parking, and camping options available at the link above.
- SSPTA is looking for donations for the live and silent auction: any kind of product, service, or experience that you, or someone you know, would be willing to contribute. If you have a donation in mind, please contact our co-chairs Victoria Skornia or Jennifer Salinas, and they will arrange a pick-up or other details.
- We are also looking for volunteers: to help solicit and pick up donations, to set up the day of the event, and to help during the event with the raffle(s), auctions, check in, and cleanup. We are looking for at least 30-40 volunteers to help during the event for live auction spotting, the wine/liquor pull, check in, solving attendee issues, etc.: in 30-minute time increments, and 6-10 volunteers for cleanup at the end of the evening. A sign-up genius will be shared during the next newsletter, or you can reach out to our event chairs to communicate your interest and availability. Any time you can give to the event will be very much appreciated!
Our event co-chairs can be reached for event questions, food choice options, donations, volunteer opportunities, etc.: Victoria Skornia (email@example.com) and Jennifer Salinas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Rivers End is located at 13130 Soledad Canyon Rd, just up the road in Bee Canyon. It was originally an RV park but has since grown into an amazing outdoor event space, one that is truly beautiful and captures the essence of our local community, surrounded by trees, a creek, and a pub that serves food, non-alcoholic drinks including non-alcoholic beer, and draft and bottled beer, ciders, and seltzers Wednesday through Monday each week—and it’s within about 5 minutes from our school!
We look forward to seeing everyone on campus for Back to School Night, don’t forget your recycling, and get ready to enjoy a fun adult themed night and buy your pre-sale tickets to Mustang Roundup.
Jennifer Salinas, SSPTA 2023-24 Communications Chair
email@example.com; c. 661-607-5387 (voice & text)
Week 1 - Aug 7th - PTA Newsletter - https://www.sspta.org/pages/week-1-aug-7th-pta-newsletter
Week 2 - Aug 14th - PTA Newsletter - https://www.sspta.org/pages/week-2-aug-14-pta-newsletter