Week 4 - Aug 28 - PTA Newsletter
Dear Sulphur Springs Parents and Guardians,
We hope everyone has an amazing Labor Day Holiday next week! This past week our school hosted its Back-to-School Night. It was amazing to see our school full of parents/guardians/families again. It feels like the positive energy surrounding our teachers, school staff, students, and PTA is a precursor that this will be an amazing year together. We also had our first recycling drop off last Friday, and it was awesome to see so many students advocating for our environment.
Keep reading to uncover how you can get involved, establish connections, and show your support.
Ways to Connect with SSPTA:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/sscspta
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sulphur_springs_pta/
SSPTA Website – www.sspta.org
President Email – President@sspta.org
Communications Email – email@example.com
Here’s everything you need to know:
4-Week Look Ahead
- 09/04 – Labor Day (Federal Holiday - No School)
- 09/12 and 13– Fall Picture Day (tentative)
- 09/14 – Minimum Day (12:45pm Release)
- 09/15 – Constitution Day/ 1st Spirit Assembly (Dress in Red, White, and Blue)
- 09/20 – Restaurant Night – Scooter’s Jungle (5:30-7:30pm)
Table of Contents
- Back to School Night Culmination
- Spirit Wear (Deadline 09/04)
- First Day Packet Forms (final notice)
- Restaurant Night – Scooter’s Jungle (09/20)
- Reflections (Deadline 10/06)
- Mustang Roundup - Save the Date (10/07)
- Yearbook Sale
- PTA Membership – Why is it important?
- CRV Recycling
- ParentSquare Forms/Flyers Access
1. Back to School Night Culmination
It was wonderful to see so many friendly faces at the school’s annual Back to School Night. We hope you all had an opportunity to meet your children's teachers, explore the classrooms, and gain insights into the curriculum and classroom expectations. In addition, we had a great turnout for the Volunteer Training. District volunteer training is required if you want to volunteer in your student’s classroom or to chaperone a field trip. PTA volunteer training is required to be a room parent, to volunteer at a PTA event or activity, or to help in the Makerspace or Art class, etc. If you were unable to attend the live training, don’t fret. The online training will be made available, a ParentSquare message will be shared in the future. You will be required to complete the training prior to volunteering at the school.
- 👕 **Show Your School Spirit with Spirit Wear!** - Deadline 09/04
Final notice! Get ready to sport your Sulphur Springs Mustang pride with our stylish and fun Spirit Wear collection! From cozy hoodies and trendy tees to comfy joggers and trucker hats, we have something for everyone. Our Spirit Wear not only shows your school spirit, but it also supports SSPTA's initiatives and activities; we earn a portion of each purchase. All orders must be placed by the Labor Day weekend 09/04, so don’t delay! https://www.stepinhouse.com/product-category/sulphur-springs-elementary-23-24/
- First Day Packet Forms (Final)
This is our final notice for the First Day Packet forms to be returned. Each form is equally important; however, we’d like to encourage you to return these forms as soon as possible:
- Communication opt-in form – You can return it with your child or email a picture of the populated form to the Communications Chair, Jennifer Salinas at firstname.lastname@example.org
- b. Family participation waiver form – Please return this form to your student’s teacher; we only need one form per household completed.
- Room Parent form – Please return the pink form with your student, email it to email@example.com, or text it to 661-607-5387.
- Volunteer interest form – You can send this form back in with your student or fill out the google doc at https://forms.gle/SFVXB3pncjUfZVfF8
If you do not have, or did not receive, these flyers they can be accessed on ParentSquare under forms/submissions (instructions below in item #10).
- Restaurant Night – Scooters Jungle (09/20)
Mark your calendars for a night of family fun and community spirit! Join us on September 20th from 5:30 to 7:30pm for the Sulphur Springs CS PTA Restaurant Night at Scooter's Jungle. Get ready to bounce, laugh, and enjoy quality time with fellow families while supporting our school. As the kids revel in the excitement of the bounce houses, families can enjoy food, drinks, and engaging conversations that strengthen our school community. This event is more than just a night out – it's a chance to come together, create memories, and show our support for our students. Let's make this evening unforgettable and show the power of our PTA in action!
More details to be released in the coming newsletter and a flyer will be sent home soon with your student, in addition it will be available in ParentSquare (instructions below in item #10) during the week it’s shared.
- Reflections – Deadline 10/06
The power of art lies in its ability to transcend words, and in this contest, we invite you to translate your optimism onto the canvas. Your art has the potential to spark a ripple of hope that extends far beyond the frame. Let your creativity shine while sharing what hope means to you.
The National PTA has launched the art contest "Reflections”. The Reflections program provides opportunities for recognition and access to the arts which boost student confidence and success in the arts and in life. This 50+ year-old program helps them explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence, and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life. This year’s theme is “I am hopeful because…”. Students submit their completed works of art in one or all the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts.
A flyer was sent home last week with your student(s). Submissions should be turned into the front office; the deadline for consideration is Friday, October 6th. All artworks will be displayed around campus and there will be a celebration on October 19th.
Register your student today, register a paper copy by returning the bottom of the flyer that came home with your student this past week, or access the flyer on ParentSquare (instructions below in item #10).
- Save the Date: Mustang Roundup – 10/07
Get ready to saddle up for an incredible night of fun at the much-awaited Mustang Roundup, coming your way on October 7, 2023, from 6 PM to 10 PM at River’s End in Canyon Country. This adults-only affair is more than just an event; it's a rollercoaster ride of laughter, excitement, unforgettable moments. It is our largest fundraiser of the year and allows us to fund most of our programs for the school year, ensuring that each student has an opportunity for enrichment and fun. Our Auctioneer/ MC, Benjamin Serio will guide you through a live and silent auction brimming with incredible treasures waiting for your bids. Prepare yourself for a fun wine and liquor pull; whether you decide to share it with friends or keep it all to yourself, the most important thing is to have a wonderful time savoring the experience. Before you dance the night away to the Future X-Husbands, your taste buds will be treated to a mouthwatering BBQ feast that's nothing short of legendary. With ice-cold beer, a tantalizing selection of non-alcoholic beverages, and a welcoming atmosphere, the Mustang Roundup is your ticket to an evening of pure exhilaration. Plus, it benefits our kids! Ticket prices go up after Labor Day and all ticket sales will close after October 4, 2023. There will be no ticket sales at the door. Mark your calendars, rally your posse, and gear up for a night you won't want to miss!
- Purchase Mustang Roundup Pre-Sale Tickets here for $60/each until Labor Day: https://www.sspta.org/collections/events/products/mustang-roundup-october-7-2023. You will find additional details about the food options, what your ticket includes, additional rules and information, overnight parking, and camping options available at the link above.
- SSPTA is looking for donations for the live and silent auction: any kind of product, service, or experience that you, or someone you know, would be willing to contribute. If you have a donation in mind, please contact our co-chairs Victoria Skornia or Jennifer Salinas, and they will arrange a pick-up or other details.
- We are also looking for volunteers: to help solicit and pick up donations, to set up the day of the event, and to help during the event with the raffle(s), auctions, check in, and cleanup. We are looking for volunteers to help during the event, in 30-minute time increments, and cleanup at the end of the evening. A sign-up genius will be shared shortly, or you can reach out to our event chairs to communicate your interest and availability. Any time you can give to the event will be very much appreciated!
Our event co-chairs can be reached for event questions, food choice options, donations, volunteer opportunities, etc.: Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Salinas (email@example.com).
Rivers End is located at 13130 Soledad Canyon Rd, just up the road in Bee Canyon. It was originally an RV park but has since grown into an amazing outdoor event space, one that is truly beautiful and captures the essence of our local community, surrounded by trees, a creek, and a pub that serves mouthwatering food, non-alcoholic drinks including non-alcoholic beer, and draft and bottled beer, ciders, and seltzers Wednesday through Monday each week—and it’s within about 5 minutes from our school!
- Yearbook Sales
Capturing the memories where pages of time are bound together in the form of our cherished yearbook. Each image, every caption, and all those candid moments encapsulate a year's worth of growth, laughter, and shared experiences. The yearbook isn't just a book; it's a vessel that holds a piece of each of us, a time capsule of friendships and achievements. Don't miss out on the chance to hold these memories in your hands – secure your student’s copy of the yearbook today for only $20 with custom personalization to ensure that the echoes of this year resonate for a lifetime.
The deadline for free personalization is January 1st, 2024, then the price increases to $25.
A flyer was sent home last week with a QR code to purchase, you can access the flyer on ParentSquare (instructions below in item #10), or you can purchase here: https://www.sspta.org/collections/yearbook
- PTA Membership – What is it and why is it important?
The PTA plays a vital role in supporting our school, and we encourage everyone to become a member. This does not commit you to volunteering or joining the Board. It’s a small annual fee that directly goes back to our students. Membership is required to be a volunteer at the school or any PTA activity/ event. You can register online at https://jointotem.com/ca/canyon-country/sulphur-springs-community-school-pta/join/register
If you would like to know more about what the Sulphur Springs CS PTA does for our school, please check out: https://www.sspta.org/pages/about-us
- CRV Recycling
Thank you to everyone who dropped off recycling last Friday. Our first round of recycling was well attended, and our students were excited to participate. As a reminder, you don’t need to sort your recycling but please ensure that the item has “CA CRV” on the label.
We are still looking for a recycling chair to manage the monthly/ bi-monthly recycling days and provide oversight to our student recycling committee members. We are always seeking additional volunteers to help at the valet lines, including students, to help at the valet lines with sorting and/or cheer for all our environmentally conscience students, and taking it to the recycling center. If you would like to get more involved, we are always looking for more volunteers If you can help, please contact VP, Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ParentSquare Forms/Flyers Access
All forms and flyers that are sent home with your students will be made available on ParentSquare under forms/submissions:
Have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend. Get ready to have fun at our first restaurant night at Scooter’s Jungle, buy your yearbooks, and plan for a fun adult themed night, buy your pre-sale tickets, at Mustang Roundup.
Jennifer Salinas, SSPTA 2023-24 Communications Chair
email@example.com; c. 661-607-5387 (voice & text)