Week 6 - Sept 11 - PTA Newsletter
Dear Sulphur Springs Parents and Guardians,
Please mark your calendars for the important dates in our 4 week lookahead below. Our students are getting ready for the Constitution Day celebration this week on September 15th! Have your student(s) join us in celebrating that day by dressing up in the patriotic colors of red, white, and blue as we come together to remember our nation's history and showcase their school spirit. The following week, make sure to join us for our first restaurant night at Scooter’s Jungle on September 20th. Goal setting meetings are starting September 26th with no school on September 29th, and there will be no school for our fall break October 2nd and 3rd. We hope you all are planning something fun with your upcoming time off. Stay tuned for an exciting month ahead!
Ways to Connect with SSPTA:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/sscspta
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sulphur_springs_pta/
SSPTA Website – www.sspta.org
Become a PTA Member – https://jointotem.com/ca/canyon-country/sulphur-springs-community-school-pta/join/register
PTA Newsletter (Current & Past Versions) – https://www.sspta.org/pages/pta-newsletters-archive
PTA Forms & Flyers: https://www.sspta.org/pages/flyers-page
President Email – President@sspta.org
Communications Email – email@example.com (new email)
If you would like to know more about what the Sulphur Springs PTA does for our school, please check out: https://www.sspta.org/pages/about-us
Here’s everything you need to know:
4-Week Look Ahead
- 09/12 – Fall Picture Day
- 09/14 – Minimum Day (12:45pm Release)
- 09/15 – Constitution Day Celebration (Student(s) Dress in Red, White, and Blue)
- 09/20 – PTA Restaurant Night at Scooter’s Jungle (5:30-7:30pm) Get Your Ticket Now!!!
- 09/21 – PTA Chairperson Training via Zoom (7:00pm)
- 09/26 & 09/28 – Student Goal Setting Meetings/ Minimum Days (12:45pm Release)
- 09/29 – Student Goal Setting Meetings/ No School (Correction)
- 10/02-10/03 – Fall Break/ No School
- 10/06 – PTA Reflections Artwork Due
- 10/07 – PTA Mustang Roundup (6:00-10:00pm) Get Your Ticket Now!!!
Table of Contents
- List of Volunteer Needs
- Mustang Store
- Restaurant Night – Scooter’s Jungle (09/20)
- Chairperson Training (09/21)
- Goal Setting Meetings
- Fall Break
- Reflections Art Show and Contest (Deadline 10/06)
- Mustang Roundup – Save the Date (10/07)
- Yearbook Sale
- Forms/Flyers Access – PTA Website
- List of Volunteer Needs
We have an immediate need for volunteers in the following areas. If you are available and would like to donate your time, regardless of the amount, please reach out to the contact listed:
- Mustang Roundup Auction and Fundraiser – Event Co-Chairs, Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Salinas (email@example.com)
- CRV Recycling – VP, Programs, Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mustang Store – President, Jessica Coleman (President@sspta.org)
- Restaurant Night (Scooter’s Jungle) – Chair, Karen Fidaleo (email@example.com)
- Crayon Initiative – Prior Chair, Jennifer Salinas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reflections/Art – Chair, Claudia Pineda (email@example.com)
- Subcomité de Familias que hablan español – Presidenta, Claudia Pineda (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Upcoming: Trunk or Treat (10/27) – Co-Chairs Nicole Carruth & Kimberly Sperling (email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mustang Store
Unlock the magic of good citizenship at our school with the coveted Mustang PRIDE slips! Picture this: students spreading kindness like confetti, lending a hand to younger peers, and even playing superhero by cleaning up messes they didn't create. These remarkable acts don't go unnoticed; they earn students those sought-after red tickets.
This is the moment when your little ones can cash in their hard-earned Mustang PRIDE slips for an array of fantastic prizes. Imagine a treasure trove filled with stickers that sparkle, yo-yos and bouncy balls that defy gravity, pens that could write a best-seller – it's a prize paradise! And remember, the bigger the prize, the more tickets it costs.
Teachers sign up to bring their entire class, and individual students can sneak in during their lunch recess for a shopping spree of a lifetime.
However, to make this fun experience come to life for our students, we need your help. We're on the hunt for volunteers to keep the Mustang Store engine running smoothly. Whether you're a master of inventory tracking, a pro at table setup, a friendly face to assist the students, or an expert at packing it all up once the excitement is over – we need your magic touch. We're all set to host the first Mustang Store of the year later this month, but we can't do it without our fantastic community.
If you're ready to sprinkle some Mustang Store magic, please reach out to us at President@sspta.org.
- Restaurant Night – Scooter’s Jungle (09/20)
Join us on September 20th, from 5:30 to 7:30pm, for our first SSPTA Restaurant Night of the year – at Scooter's Jungle located at 28230 Constellation Rd., Valencia, CA 91355. Ticket costs are Children $15 (ages 1-17), Adults $5, Infants free (under 1). Food costs are Pepperoni and Cheese pizza slices $3/ea, Whole pizza $30 (10 slices). Buy online until September 17th at 10:00pm. Admission and food prices will also be sold at door, starting at 5:00pm, at a higher price.
Purchase your tickets and meal options here: https://www.sspta.org/collections/events/products/scooters-jungle-restaurant-night We can’t wait to see you there!
- PTA Chairperson Training via Zoom (09/21, 7pm)
Calling all PTA trailblazers, both seasoned and those with dreams of leading the charge! Mark your calendars, circle it in bright, neon ink, and set an alarm – because on Thursday, September 21st, at 7:00pm, we're rolling out the virtual red carpet for our PTA Chairperson Training.
But hold onto your seats because this isn't your run-of-the-mill training session. Oh no, this is a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the electrifying world of PTA event leadership. We're talking about answering those burning questions you've been itching to ask. We'll demystify what it means to be the captain of a PTA ship, guide you through the secret sauce for planning a knock-your-socks-off event, and reveal the inner workings of how we conjure our legendary Mustang magic!
Now, you might be wondering, 'How do I join this exclusive event?' Fear not, dear friend, for the Zoom link will be delivered straight to your inbox in our next newsletter. But here's the real deal – save the date NOW, because this is your golden ticket to the world of PTA greatness.
If the stars don’t align and you can't make it to the training at that exact hour, don't fret! Reach out to Victoria.Skornia@gmail.com, and we'll conjure up alternate arrangements to make sure you don't miss out on the action. We're thrilled to have you onboard, so don't be shy. Whether you're ready to hoist the flag of leadership or are simply curious about what it entails, join us and let's ignite the spark of enthusiasm together.
- Goal Setting Meetings (09/26-09/29)
Embarking on the path to success requires not just ambition but also a well-crafted roadmap. And what better way to chart that course than by scheduling a goal-setting meeting with your teacher(s)? In this meeting, the canvas of your child’s school year begins to take shape. It's a moment where goals are refined, steps to achieve those are defined, and enthusiasm becomes a tangible force for positive change. So, whether it's academics, personal growth, or a blend of both, scheduling that goal-setting meeting isn't just a meeting—it's the first stroke on the canvas of your child’s extraordinary journey towards success with their teacher and classmates.
Goal setting meetings will start September 26th and wrap up September 29th. September 26th and 28th are minimum days with early release at 12:45pm. September 29th there is no school. Your teacher will be sharing a link on ParentSquare to sign up for a time slot on their calendar soon.
- Fall Break (10/02-10/03)
Ah, fall break, the golden interlude in the semester when students get to savor the sweet, crisp taste of freedom! It's a time when classrooms are deserted, textbooks gather dust, and the only assignments involve cozying up with the start-of-the-fall-season yummy tastes. From apple-picking adventures to leaf-peeping escapades, it's a season of colorful escapism. Students swap their backpacks for flannel shirts, trading deadlines for campfires and essays for marshmallow roasts. With every leaf that flutters to the ground, there's a sense of liberation in the air as students’ recharge, refuel, and revel in the splendid chaos of fall break. So, here's to embracing the autumnal joy, where the only thing falling is the leaves, and the only worries are which sweater to wear and which pie to savor.
Just on the horizon after goal-setting meetings, kids are cheering for fall break, October 2nd – 3rd. With September 29th as a non-school day for goal setting meetings, you can schedule your meeting early to make the most of the (5) days away from school!
- Reflections (Art Show and Contest) – Deadline 10/06
This year’s theme is: I am HOPEFUL because…. Be sure the theme is incorporated in the artwork! For more information from National PTA, visit https://www.pta.org/home/programs/reflections.
If you have any questions or if you would like to request a paper copy of the application packet, please contact our Chairperson Claudia Pineda (email@example.com). There will also be an informational and Q&A Zoom meeting about Reflections, in English and Spanish, coming soon (Monday, September 18th, at 10am). If you would like to participate in that meeting, please contact Claudia and keep your eye on our next newsletter for the Zoom link.
Reflections submissions should be turned into the front office; the deadline for consideration is Friday, October 6th. All artworks will be displayed around campus, and there will be a gallery display and awards ceremony on October 19th (at 5:30pm in the MPR). Request your application packet today and let your creativity flow!
- Save the Date: Mustang Roundup (10/07)
Get ready to saddle up for an incredible night of fun at the much-awaited Mustang Roundup, coming your way on October 7, 2023, from 6 PM to 10 PM at River’s End in Canyon Country. This adults-only affair is more than just an event; it's a rollercoaster ride of laughter, excitement, unforgettable moments. It is our largest fundraiser of the year and allows us to fund most of our programs for the school year, ensuring that each student has an opportunity for enrichment and fun. Our Auctioneer/ MC, Benjamin Serio will guide you through a live and silent auction stacked with amazing items to bid on like specialized experiences, vacations, jewelry, a ton of gift cards and gift certificates from our Santa Clarita Valley business community, specialized fund-a-needs for the school, themed baskets that are out of this world, special teacher experiences for your students, and cool items like a reserved parking spot in front of the school or a classroom alleyway named after your family! Prepare yourself for fun raffles and an exciting wine and liquor pull. Before you dance the night away to the Future X-Husbands, your taste buds will be treated to a mouthwatering BBQ feast that's nothing short of legendary. Yummy desserts will leave you dreaming for more from Gigi’s Sweethearts. With ice-cold beer (on draft or bottled), a tantalizing selection of non-alcoholic beverages, and a welcoming atmosphere, the Mustang Roundup is your ticket to an evening of amazing memories. Plus, it benefits our kids! Ticket prices will go up again after 09/25 and all ticket sales will close after October 2, 2023. There will be no ticket sales at the door. Mark your calendars, rally your posse, and gear up for a night you won't want to miss!
- Purchase Mustang Roundup Tickets here for $70/ea.:
You will find additional details about food options, what your ticket includes, venue guidelines and information, overnight parking, and dry camping ($30/night) at the link above.
- Classroom Basket Themes have been assigned. The goal is to create a fun and engaging basket centered around the theme, so get creative and have some fun with the items you add to it. A letter is coming home to each student’s household to provide more details. We are asking each family, if able, to contribute a new (sealed, if applicable) item that goes with your class theme or a nominal monetary donation to assist the room parent(s) with purchasing items for the class basket. Donation items can be sent back with your student Attn: Room Parent(s) or you can drop it in the front office Attn: SSPTA Mustang Roundup and include the teachers name.
- SSPTA is looking for donations for the live and silent auctions: We are seeking any product, service, or experience that you, or someone you know, would be willing to contribute. If you have a donation in mind, please contact our co-chairs Victoria Skornia or Jennifer Salinas, and they will arrange for a pick-up or other delivery details.
- We are also looking for volunteers: to help solicit and pick up donations, to set up the day of the event, and to help during the event with the raffles, auctions, check in, and cleanup. You can sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0D48ACA723A2FE3-2023, or you can reach out to our event chairs to communicate your interest and availability. Any time you can give to the event will be very much appreciated!
Our event co-chairs can be reached for event questions, food choice options, donations, volunteer opportunities, etc.: Victoria Skornia (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Salinas (email@example.com).
- Yearbook Sales
Yearbooks for the current school year are on sale now! Don't miss out on the chance to hold these memories in your hands – secure your student’s copy of the yearbook today for only $20 with custom personalization to ensure that the echoes of this year resonate for a lifetime.
The deadline for free personalization is January 1, 2024; then the price increases to $25. We’ve received inquiries from multiple people regarding personalization. Personalization is a small amount of space for text on the cover, 2 lines of approximately 15 characters each, ex: name, grade, etc. Please keep in mind we cannot accommodate long sentences or special punctuation, and we do not have control over the line break.
A flyer was sent home with a QR code to purchase, and you can purchase directly here: https://www.sspta.org/collections/yearbook
- Forms/Flyers Access – PTA Website
We will be posting all PTA forms and flyers on both our SSPTA website and ParentSquare, during the week they are distributed to students. If you are unable to locate a form or flyer that you need, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Last week we shared how to find flyers/forms in ParentSquare; this week we’ve included steps on how to find them on the PTA website. Forms and Flyers are located on the PTA website grouped by date: https://www.sspta.org/pages/flyers-page
Get ready to have fun at our first restaurant night of the year at Scooter’s Jungle (buy those tickets/meals now at a discount). Participate in your first goal setting meeting with your student’s teacher(s) and then immediately after, enjoy a great time with your family and friends for Fall Break. Don’t forget to register your student for Reflections and get your tickets now for a fun adults-only night of fun, food, friends, and fundraising at the Mustang Roundup (insert happy dance and fireworks to show how much fun this night is going to be!).
Jennifer Salinas, SSPTA 2023-24 Communications Chair
email@example.com (new email); c. 661-607-5387 (voice & text)