It’s Spirit Week!
Before you know it, we’ll be celebrating Read Across America, a nationwide celebration of reading, books, and that great author so many of us heard when we were little: Dr Seuss. In honor of Read Across America Week, this week’s dress-ups days are influenced by famous Dr Seuss books.
· 2/20 – NO SCHOOL, President’s Day
· 2/21 – Wear a Mustache Day (The Lorax)
· 2/22 – Wear red, stripes, and/or a crazy hat (The Cat in the Hat)
· 2/23 – Wear Pajamas (PJs) (The Sleep Book)
· 2/24 – Wear red-and-blue or Mustang Spirit Wear attire
The SSPTA will be hosting a Read Across American family night, in conjunction with our ever-popular STEAM family night on Thursday, March 2, starting at 5:30 pm in the MPR. Please save the date! We will have a number of fun activities (like making your own catapult or competing in games with Mathnasium), a read-aloud area with some of our favorite books, and a preview of our Scholastic Book Fair, and the back-by-popular-demand SSPTA Book Swap (so start setting aside your books, games, and puzzles that have been outgrown!).
If you are interested in volunteering for the March 2 event, please email President@sspta.org now, and we’ll get you in touch with the chairperson and her team.
We are also looking for volunteers to help with:
- a jog-a-thon (in March, expected to culminate March 17)
* We have tentative co-chairs for this event but are looking for all sorts of additional help, from making copies of flyers to shopping for incentives to cheering kids on the day of the run.
- the multicultural fair (March 24, during the school day), chairperson is Daynabelle Anderson
* We are looking for anyone who would like to share their culture with our students. We currently have representatives from Peru, Japan, the Philippines, and Armenia. (If you’d like to join one of those countries, that’s OK too!)
- teacher appreciation week (the first week of May), chairperson is Yuka Kawasaki
* We especially need help to secure donations of food and goodies.
- the spring carnival (May 12), chairperson is Frank Viola (661-618-1950)
* We have a few small tasks that need doing now to make the carnival a success. All participation in any capacity is welcome (so if you want to do more and have a bigger role, we can accommodate that too)!
If you are interested in helping with any of the above events, please email President@sspta.org